Holly's 27 Helpful Home Improvement Hints
See How Easy It Is to Solve Common Household Problems
Here you are, 27 home improvement hints to save you time and money. Iím so glad you found this page. Youíre going to find some clever ideas here that solve common household problems. Theyíre bound to surprise and amaze you. Whatís better, they will save you a pocketful of time and money. Letís not dilly-dally another rminute.
- To open a sealed envelope without tearing it, put the envelope in the freezer for a few hours, then slide a knife under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed. (hmmmmmm...)
- Use an empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords. It keeps them neat. Write on the roll what appliance the cord belongs to.
- When the temperature drops below freezing, do your front door steps ice up? Use a bucket with a solution of warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Pour the solution all over the steps. They won't refreeze. This will keep your steps safe without much trouble.
- Did the children write on the walls with crayon? This works beautifully! Use a damp rag, dipped in baking soda. The marks come off with just a little effort.
- Have you noticed permanent marker on the kitchen appliances and counter tops? Sometimes the ink on store receipts and plastic bags marks up the countertop. To remove it, use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.
- Brillo and S.O.S. scouring pads get rusty and smelly after one use. Whenever I purchase a box of scouring pads, I immediately take a pair of scissors and cut each pad into halves. No more do I have to throw away rusted and almost new scouring pads. This is much more economical. Now a box of scouring pads last me indefinitely! And would you believe that the scissors get sharpened this way?!
- Thereís no need to worry when you notice blood stains on clothes! Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time! Now, where to put the body?
- When you wash the windows, use vertical strokes when washing outside windows outside and horizontal strokes for inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks. Plain undiluted vinegar will get outside windows really clean. Don't
wash windows on a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and are more likely to streak.
- To freshen a room, spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room. It will create a lovely light scent in each room when the light is turned on.
- Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels and bedding in the linen closet.
- Did you know that candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for 3 hours or more before you light them?
- Are you wondering how to clean artificial silk flowers? Pour some salt into a paper bag and add the flowers. Shake vigorously. The salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!
- To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring the skillet to a boil on the stove.
- Tomato sauce quickly stains plastic dishes and bowls. Spray your plastic storage container with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains.
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks. Celery emits ethylene gas, which breaks down its cell walls. Plastic wrap traps the gas, so celery gets limp and spoils faster. But the gas can pass through aluminum foil. Alumimum foil keeps celery crisp and green longer.
- When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
- Hereís a cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
- Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces. (Left over wine? What's that?!)
- To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area for instant relief.
- Have you found ants in the house? It is said that ants never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
- Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and leaves a lovely fragrance with the shine.
- When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape instead of tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, and then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
- Look what you can do with Alka Seltzer. To clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets,wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china.
- To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or vinegar cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
- Hereís an easy way to polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and leave the jewelry in it for two minutes.
- Thermos bottles are easier to clean this way. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour or longer.
- Yes, there is an easy way to unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain, followed with a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.
I hope life brings you much success. I wish you a very happy day.
----- Surfer Sam
Thanks for sharing! You make good things happen.
Simple, Easy, Free, How To Do It Articles - Health, Money,
Success, Investing, Business, Happiness,Technology, Music, Books, Biography,Celebrities