24 Ways You Can Save Big Money on Your Wedding
Plan, Negotiate, Substitute and Simplify to Save Money
Negotiate with your wedding vendors for lower prices. The first prices you are quoted for flowers, rentals, venue, transportation and gowns are always higher than they need to be. Then ask the vendor what they can do for xxx dollars, and set your inquiry below what you budgeted.
- Check the Better Business Bureau records for each vendor before you sign a contract. Has anyone complained about this individual, store or business in the past? Save money with a reliable wedding vendor.
- Whenever you can, borrow the supplies you need from family and friends. If you can't borrow it, rent it. Only when all else fails should you buy something new.
- Save money on your wedding decorations, food, beverages, alcohol, party favors and even your flowers. Did you think about purchasing them at a wholesale warehouse club?
- If you purchase a wedding dress at a boutique, ask if the price of the dress includes fitting fees, alterations, storage fees, delivery, pressing, cleaning and preservation.
- Save money on bridesmaid dresses. Buy dresses for the bridesmaids from the selection of prom dresses and formal gowns in a department store.
- Decide not to have an entourage of bridesmaids. Limit your attendants to the maid of honor.
- Go to the free clinic for your blood test, if your state requires a blood test to get a marriage license.
- Find a vendor you know and trust, and ask that person for referrals for other services.
- Rely on talented friends for the services you need, a dressmaker, a chef, a caterer, a limo driver, a decorator, a florist, a photographer, musicians, disc jockey, and a wedding planner.
- You'll save money if you hold the wedding reception in the same location as the ceremony, so you don't have to pay for two venues.
- Purchase your wedding gown off-the-rack, and have it fitted later if necessary. Ready-made always save you money.
- The contract for photography should specify who will take the photos, how long the photographer will stay at the wedding, what lights will be used, the editing fee, and how many photos will be printed. Save money and avoid paying for a lot of extras.
- A professional photographer will charge an extra fee for the purchase of prints. The photographer owns the copyright to all the photos that are taken, so you cannot reprint the photos yourself. Specify that you want archival quality prints, rather than ink-jet prints.
- Use a professional photographer for the posed, formal wedding pictures. Then have a friend take candid shots during the rest of the event.
- Plan an informal wedding reception, with a buffet meal rather than a sit-down dinner. This will save a lot of money.
- Plan a morning wedding with a champagne brunch.
- Plan a wedding reception with a potluck dinner and casseroles.
- Use a disc jockey, rather than a live band, at your reception. You'll get a large variety of recorded music and singers, and lots of your favorite dance tunes.
- Communicate with your vendors by email rather than phone, so you will have a record of every contact.
- Before you sign a contract, ask for a firm price, not an estimate, and a complete list of the fees that could be added to your bill. Read the contract before you sign it.
- Before you sign a contract, get the details about the cancellation and refund policy in writing. Also get a written quote for the cost of additional wedding guests.
- Get a receipt for everything you buy. Keep your wedding receipts and contracts in an alphabetized expanding file folder.
- Charge your down payments and your wedding expenses to your credit card. If you have a dispute with a vendor, it's easier to get your money back by writing to the credit card company. And you can earn air miles for the honeymoon.
I wish you a happy day full of romance and memories as you plan your wedding.
Return to the top...
Thanks for sharing!
You make good things happen.
Free and Easy
How To Do It Articles - Health, Money,
Success, Investing, Business, Happiness,Technology, Music, Books, Biography,Celebrities