Top 10 NYSE Stock Market Winners. The hottest stocks on the New York Stock Exchange Are Something To Crow About
What’s your approach to investing? Growth stocks? Income stocks? Or do you hide your money under the mattress? If you put your money into the ten best performing stocks on the New York Stock Exchange for the past 12 months, you would have something to crow about. We screened stocks on the NYSE for the best price performance from February 2006 to February 2007. Here are the stellar returns that the top 10 stocks earned for their investors. And what do they have in common? These stocks were all small caps when their amazing runs began. As Peter Lynch said, "Everything else being equal, you'll do better with the smaller companies." So if you don't have at least a little small-cap exposure, just think of how much better you could be doing. Here are the top 10 NYSE Stock Market Winners.
- The best stock of the year was APM, Applica, Inc., which gained 388% last year. A $1000 investment in Applica Inc. returned $4,884 in just 12 months. The company markets and distributes products for the kitchen, the home, pest control, pet care and personal care. Its stock price skyrocketed when Harbinger Partners Master Fund delivered a buyout offer.
- Runner-up for best stock of the year was Systemax, Inc., SYX, a direct marketer of desktop computers, notebook computers, computer components like disk drives, printers and scanners, toner and ink cartridges for printers. SYX also offers various industrial products such as metal shelving, bins, and lockers, hand carts and hand trucks. You may have heard of their computer brands, Systemax, Tiger, and Ultra. They employ 2700 and have headquarters in Port Washington, NY. In 5 years the stock has returned 1047%, due to growing revenues and profits.
- Number 3 on the hot stock list is the GEO Group, Inc. (GEO), gaining 221% last year. GEO Group develops and operates prisons, immigration detention centers and mental health facilities. It has over 48,370 beds under management in the United States, Australia and South Africa.
- Amrep Corporation, AXR, number 4 on the list, is active in 3 business sectors: real estate, fulfillment services, and newsstand distribution businesses. It develops homesites, commercial lots, and office buildings, concentrating in Rio Rancho, including 85 industrial properties and 500 offices. AMREP also provides subscription fulfillment and related services for publishers and other customers, as well as distributing magazines. AMREP employs 1300 and is based in Princeton, New Jersey. This stock gained 207% last year.
- CPI Corp, CPY, gained 200% this year, mostly by taking baby pictures.. CPI operates 1,046 studios throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico principally under license agreements with Sears, Roebuck and Co. (Sears). CPY is also up 200% in a year.
- Number 6, ICE Intercontinental Exchange Inc. stock began trading after its IPO in November 2005. Its one-year price gain is 197%. ICE operates an electronic global futures and over-the-counter (OTC) marketplace for trading contracts based on crude or refined oil, natural gas and power. It operates in three markets: futures markets, OTC markets and market data markets. On January 12, 2007, Intercontinental Exchange and the New York Board of Trade (NYBOT) completed their merger, and NYBOT become a wholly owned subsidiary of ICE.
- Number 7 is Wimm-Bill-Dann Foods,WBD, which gained 190%, driven by increasing sales and profits. This company is Russia’s top dairy producer. WBD manufactures a full range of dairy products, milk, butter, and cheese, as well as juice drinks and baby foods and sells them in Russian stores. WBD plans to double its revenue by 2010, with percentage sales growth this year in the high teens and earnings growth even higher. Wimm-Bill-Dann was chosen as the name for this Russia-based company because consumers associate higher quality and novelty with foreign sounding names. WBD benefited from the investor interest in emerging markets.
- American Real Estate Partners, ACP, is affiliated with financier Carl Icahn, and gained 188% for its investors. ACP engages in the gaming, real estate, and home fashion businesses. It owns and operates gaming properties in Nevada. It owns 39 rental real estate properties in approximately 20 states. The company also builds and sells houses. It also manufactures and sells bed and bath linens. American Real Estate Partners has offered to buy the automotive parts supplier Lear Corp. for about $5 billion.
- In ninth place with a gain of 171% is Rostelekom OAO (ADR), ROS. This Russian company provides domestic and international long-distance telecommunications services throughout Russia through its ground and submarine cables, digital radio-relay lines, and satellites. With growing sales and earnings, it benefited from investor interest in the Russian emerging market.
- Coming in at number 10 is Brush Engineered Material, BW, gaining 165%. Headquartered in Cleveland, Brush manufactures metal materials and specialty products for the global telecommunications and computer, magnetic and optical data storage, aerospace and defense, automotive electronics, industrial components and appliance markets.
I hope life brings you much success. I wish you a very happy day.
----- Surfer Sam
Thanks for sharing!
You make good things happen.
Free and Easy
How To Do It Articles - Health, Money,
Success, Investing, Business, Happiness,Technology, Music, Books, Biography,Celebrities